CROYDON MALE VOICE CHOIR
RULES AND CONSTITUTION
1) The Choir shall be called “The Croydon Male Voice Choir”.
2) The Choir shall be non-political and non-sectarian.
The objects of the Choir shall be:
a) The study and practice of Choral Music in order to foster public knowledge and appreciation of such music by means of public performance.
b) To assist and support such charitable institutions as the Committee shall from
Time to time decide.
4) The Officers of the Choir shall consist of:
a. The Honorary Secretary
b. The Honorary Treasurer
5. The Committee. Management of the Choir shall be conducted by a “Committee” and shall comprise of the Chairman and Officers and elected members of the Choir.
The Chairman, Officers and other members of the Committee shall be elected by the majority of the Members voting, by ballot if necessary, at an Annual General or at a properly called Special General Meeting. Nominations for office shall close one week before the meeting. However, if nominations are not made prior to the meeting they may be made at the meeting provided a proposer and seconder are present.
The committee shall meet at least twice per year and at other times when business warrants. A special meeting may be called at any time by the Chairman or by any two officers/committee members by giving not less than four days notice to all other members of the committee of the matters to be discussed but if the matter includes the appointment of a co-opted member then not less than twenty-one days shall be given. If the Chairman is not present at a meeting of the Committee then those in attendance at that meeting shall elect one of their number to direct the proceedings at that meeting. A quorum shall be formed by not less than three members of the committee (to include at least the Chairman and/or one of the Officers of the Choir). Each member of the committee shall have one vote at committee meetings – if necessary the Chairman will have a casting vote.
8) Membership shall be open to all men who support the aims of the Choir, and who have reasonable knowledge of music and a wish to further their knowledge. Singing in concerts will be permitted at the discretion of the Musical Director once the member has reached an acceptable standard. For good and sufficient reason and subject to the approval of the Committee, Membership of any individual may be terminated by the decision of the Committee PROVIDED that the individual shall have the right to be heard by the said Committee before the decision is final.
9) Choir Uniform:
Members invited to sing in concerts will be provided with a Choir uniform of jacket and tie. These remain the property of the Choir and must be maintained in clean condition and must be returned in a clean and laundered condition on leaving the Choir.
10) Musical Director and Accompanist
The positions of Musical Director and Accompanist will be elected by the majority of the Members voting, by ballot if necessary, at an Annual General Meeting or at a properly called Special General Meeting. Any vote to remove a Musical Director or Accompanist shall be effective up to three months from the date of that meeting.
A Deputy Musical Director and Deputy Accompanist will be elected by The Committee.
The Musical Director may be invited to attend any committee meeting and shall receive due notice of same. However, the Musical Director may not vote on any resolution.
11) A suitable bank account shall be maintained in the name of the “Croydon Male Voice Choir” and operated under the signatures of any two of : The Chairman, The Honorary Treasurer, the Honorary Secretary, and the Concert Secretary.
12) The membership donation shall be determined at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose.
13) The Financial Year of the Choir shall terminate on 31st December. The financial position of the Choir shall be reviewed at each committee meeting.
14) The books of accounts of the Choir shall be examined, by an appointed Examiner, before the date of the Annual General Meeting, which shall be held by the end of March each year, or any other date sanctioned by the Committee.
15) The Examiner shall be appointed at the Annual General Meeting.
16) Reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred by Members on the authorised business of the Choir will be reimbursed at the discretion of the Committee
17) A nominal Honorarium shall be awarded to the elected Treasurer and Secretary. Such Honorarium shall be determined by majority vote at the Annual General Meeting for the year in which the meeting is held. Honorarium shall be paid within six months of the commencement of that year.
18) A fee shall be awarded to the Musical Director, the Accompanist, the Deputy Musical Director and to a Deputy Accompanist (if appointed). Such fee shall be reviewed annually by the committee and any recommendation for change put forward by the Committee will be subject to a majority vote at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting duly called.
19) The choice of music to be rehearsed and performed is the responsibility of the Musical Director.
20) An Annual General Meeting shall be held by the end of March each year or any other date sanctioned by the Committee. Two weeks notice shall be given of the meeting.
21) A Special General Meeting can be requested by not less than 20% of the members of the Choir, or by the Committee if thought necessary, and such meeting shall be held after 14 days notice has been given to all Members entitled to attend.
22) The Rules/Constitution of the Choir may only be altered or adopted at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting duly called: no alteration shall be made to the rules that would cause the Choir at any time to cease to be charitable in its aims and objectives, or to the procedures in rule 23 in the event of a dissolution of the Choir.
23) If, after the winding up or dissolution of the Choir, there remains any property whatsoever after the satisfaction of its debts and liabilities, the same shall not be distributed among the Members of the Choir but shall be given or transferred to some Charitable Institution/s concerned with the promotion of music to be determined by the Members of the Choir at or before the time of dissolution and in so far as effect cannot be given to such provision then to some other charitable object.
A copy of these rules shall be given to each Member of the Choir.